Forums  

• Go Back   Forums > Eleuthera Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Default As JB said....

As JB said, news copters often show herds (or whatever they're called) of sharks off the Florida beaches, including last week. The video from the Miami NBC station showed hundreds of sharks migrating south. Heading our way???

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/M...199020061.html
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 PM
    Honoured Member

They are migrating north.
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Default Reply from Victim

Hey Guys,

Just stumbled on your forum. I'm the bone fisherman that was bitten Thursday around 11:30 AM. My brother and I were at Savannah Sound on a flat about 1/4 of a mile off the beach in knee deep water. There was a deeper ledge off the flat 30 to 40 feet from me. I saw some nervous water moving toward me and thought it was a school of bone fish, but as it came closer I could see its dorsal fin and knew I was in for it.

This shark came with so much speed and velocity that it knocked me down. It circled around me, I shouted at it and hit several times with my fly rod. It bolted out of there when it realized it had made a mistake and I wasn't a fish to eat. My brother ran over and noticed the gash in my foot from one side of the ankle to the other. We ran for the beach worried about sharks smelling blood. I got very dizzy from the loss of blood, but made it to the beach and my brother tied a tourniquet above the wound.

There was a local working on the beach and we followed him to the clinic at Governor's Harbor. The Doctor at the clinic said I needed to go to the hospital in Nassau because of extensive tendon damage. The doctor could not attach my severed tendon to my small toe. He stitched me up and I was released at 3:30 AM. I am now at home in Rochester NY and will be seeing local doctors tomorrow. Loved Eleuthera and its lovely people. I will be back soon. A couple of facts I want to clear up: I was in knee deep water, The shark gave no warning signs before the attack and swam straight at me, I was bitten just below the ankle, and I was not airlifted out. I flew on Southern Air.

People should not be afraid of sharks. This was a freak occurrence and I have confidence I will make a speedy recovery.

The Boot

The Foot
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 PM

Thumbs up

Wow! Great story and pix. Glad you're relatively OK, coulda been worse.

Surprising number of shark hits are in shallow water, close to shore. Whacking him with your rod was a great response, probably what drove him off.

Hope you heal well, best wishes for the recovery, and please do come back.

Last edited by Conchy Joe; 03-24-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM

So great to hear your first person report, Shark Man. What an experience! You have an incredibly positive attitude about the shark attack and Eleuthera. Thank you so much for sharing...what a treat to log on and, instead of reading yet another random shark tale (fish tale? <smile>), read your post instead. This forum does sometimes rise to the highest and best level.

Cheers to you, thanks for the post, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 PM

Welcome, Sharkman

So sorry about your experience, I hope your recovery is speedy and pain free as possible. Your experiance is strange in clear water but I have seen video's of sharks charging bonefish at scary high speeds, maybe your foot disturbing sand? Also glad your not being detained as the story said..... Did you catch any of those spooky Savannah Sound bones?
    Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Default Savanah Sound reply

No I didn't. They sure are tough. Guess I'm not that good. Took Denny Renkin on Wed saw 3 fish
    Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 PM

Sharkman,

I did a double take on your foot photo, only counted four first glance.

Yeah,Savannah Sound, after seeing 30 or 40 slobs, maybe a few double digit one morning and lining several with the 8wt. I came back next day with spinning gear and conch slop. Only fished twenty min. in the rain but caught one close to double digit, It almost spooled 300yds of 8lb.

Anyway I prefer the fly gear but had to get those fish out my system by whatever means (gillnet was next)

My favorite spot was Whiteland beach, caught some quality fish and lost a few, couldn't stop-um from getting to reef.

Hope to see ya on a flat some day..
    Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 PM

Shark man, thank you much for responding to the less than informative article from the eleutheranews. So glad you are ok. As much as we know about sharks just goes to show how much we don't know. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!!
    Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conchy Joe View Post

Surprising number of shark hits are in shallow water, close to shore.
    Nothing surprising about it. It's logical. That is where most of the people are, in shallow water. Hence, that is where most of the attacks will be.

Same as most accidents occur in or near your home.